Sunday, October 18, 2009

Duma Key Stephen King

I am Stephen King fan. I think I've read about everything he has published. I have a Stephen King shelf right next to David Eddings.

Edgar Freemantle is a construction worker who loses his arm in an accident. It ruins his marriage, and sends him on a journey to find himself. He ends up in Duma Key in a pink house that should be listed in the realty section of the twilight zone. Edgar decides to take up drawing and painting again because its good therapy. That is when the twilight zone comes and gets him.

King describes the feeling obsessive artists get when the need to paint strikes them hard. It describes my own feelings exactly in a way that I couldn't before. I read it and thoght "Yes that's it, where were the words before?"
While reading I worked on a few paintings one of which is a beach, but the others were twisted and haunted.

The dark journey of the soul is shown with interactions with his few and eccentric neighbors, a living forest that smells sickly sweet, paintings that haunt and or kill the owner, the rattling of shells, gruesome deaths and that rag doll. The doll haunts my nightmares today.
Must READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment